Saturday, June 25, 2011

Profile: Do's and DON'TS!!!

When you meet someone in the "real world", tone and inflection, the way you smile or frown or that nervous tick in your right eye, gives clues about your personality. Not so in the online dating game. When you first sign on to the site you do the usual, name, birth date, exact  placement of freckles and my personal favorite, type this weird series of letters into this box so we can determine you are not a robot... After that  it becomes a bit more personal. There is a personality and chemistry quiz (I love quizzes!)  that should determine your personal preferences (as if you already didn't know) (oddly enough in my case i don't) and what you are looking for in a lover/mate/husband/ pool boy. You pick through a series of choices such as: hang-out, casual dating, relationship and other...other??? You then are urged to put up a picture of yourself ("the chances of you being matched are 230% greater with a picture") and you have to write a description of yourself. ugh on both accounts! First of all I am the picture taker not generally the takee...So there is a dearth of photos of myself on my computer. Also i have been doing a bit of work on the ole' body (purely sweat and tears not cosmetic) and so a lot of the pictures I have are not current. Anyway I picked out the most current and "attractive pic I have and posted that bad boy up there. whew first hurtle overcome! Next came the description of myself. Now I am a huge fan of me. I like talking about myself but writing is a completely different thing! (see first part of this blog) How does one come off humble yet confident, sassy but sweet and cool enough to party but not cool enough to party like that, at the same time and  in 100 words? Since this is fun sharing time I am going to share with ya'll what I wrote for my description and then dissect it for you! 

simple gal looking to meet some new people. interests include but are not limited to reading, drinking, cooking and playing on the playground after dark. doesn't use upper case very often because i think it limits my creative spark. not a speller. ready to roll with all and any punches...figuratively or literally.

There it is...now we will start at the beginning: Simple gal (humble, yes?) looking to meet some new people (totally true) interests include but are not limited to reading (duh), drinking (one of the questions they ask is how often you drink. my answer was occasionally which apparently equals more than 3 times a week)  cooking( barefoot, no)  and playing on the playground after dark. doesn't use upper case very often b.c i think it limits my creative spark.(this is also very true) not a speller (everyone knows that). ready to roll with all and any punches...figuratively or literally. 

Ok, so, to me, that is a great profile. Ya'll know me though and you know my sense of humor...so this, in hindsight, may have not been the best description. Probably should have stuck to the formula which was: describe what type of music you like (whatevs) describe what you like to do in your spare time (did that one!!!), what you are looking for out of life (i said something about creative spark, right? im creative) and other things that i didn't pay attention to b/c i though they were too boring.  
        Lesson learned though...the last line, the true gem outta that whole shabang..."Ready to roll with..." yeah that got me a message from, im sure a total gentleman in "real life", asking how i felt about spankings. The drinking part of the description (plus the fact that I have a beer in my profile pic) got me a message about if im an alcoholic... 

2 comments:

  1. "Rolling with punches...literally"?? That might not be the best thing to say. Other than that, I think that it is you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know, right?!? had no idea...

    ReplyDelete